I was happily enjoying my cupcake halves and Dad began to talk about them moving to Port Townsend. Well, crap! Way to end a perfectly good birthday lunch! He and Mom said that they would be down-sizing, so we would be receiving things back that we gave them at one time or another. What?! Dad said that he would rather give things back than put things in storage or sell them to somebody else. Okay, so I can kind of understand their point of view, but my word- it hurts! Not only are you moving to another state, you want to give things back to us that we gave to you? Really?
After a little while of trying to understand and not doing much talking, I got up to lie down on the couch. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I mean, I know that Dad has been wanting to move to Washington for a long time. I just didn't know that we would start "down-sizing" so soon! I thought that the move would be in 2-3 years and now Dad is saying that it will be a year and a half! Well, I've gotten used to having them around and I kind of like it that they are close by. The boys kind of love it that they are close by. They said that they wanted to go ahead and talk to me about it because they knew it would take a while for me to get used to the idea. Well, yeah!
What really hurts is that Dad didn't show a lot of emotion about moving. Mom cried a little, but Dad was so matter-of-fact about it. Does it make him sad at all that we won't be 20 minutes away anymore? Of course I am proud of him working so hard that he is able to move wherever his heart desires, but I am sad too.
I'm too upset to write anymore about this.

No comments:
Post a Comment